Be it a meditative garden stroll or a forested mountain hike, treat yourself to a full recharge in nature.
Nature sits comfortably alongside architecture at SSH.
The structure was built to wind, quite literally, through the
existing forest trees – plus just on its doorstep are
mountains, rivers, waterfalls. In short? It’s the perfect place
“The surrounding nature itself is the design concept.”
So says the hotel’s architect Shigeru Ban – and it’s easy to see why. A colorful cornucopia of more than 260 trees cocoons the hotel – cherry trees, red maples, cedars, evergreens – providing an ever-changing natural backdrop,
Explore the changing colors of SSH throughout the year.
- In Spring… pen a haiku beneath the garden’s cherry blossoms before enjoying a picnic bento box at nearby waterfalls.
- In Summer… swap city humidity for fresh air and green foliage, perfect for cycling, hiking, horseback riding, tennis.
- In Autumn... watch maples transform into fiery shades – and make the most of the temperate climes with mountain hikes.
- In Winter... as snow falls, enjoy the coziest time of year: best for skiing, hot spring onsen soaks and fireside nightcaps.
Karuizawa is nirvana for nature-lovers – and SSH staff know all the best spots to visit: from hidden waterfalls and cross country ski trails to mountain hikes and horse-riding routes.
- Yacho no Mori Wild Bird Forest
- Hanareyama Park, Joshin’etsu Kogen National Park
- Sengataki Falls